Saturday, July 16, 2011

Killer At Large

A Facebook friend just posted this video. It made my heart hurt to see it. The 12-year-old who thought her only way to fight her weight was through liposuction had me nearly in tears. Watch.



We, as a society, have just gotten bigger and bigger. Many of us can't even get around from point A to point B without the use of some kind of mobility aid. I'm not referring to people who have health issues unrelated to weight, but rather those who have conditions directly related to weight. I'm sure my healing from my fall over a month ago is going so much slower due to my weight.

So, what are we going to do about it? I can't make an impact on the world, but I can in my family. I don't want my children to grow up obese like me. I don't want them to be picked last for athletic games at school because people assume the "fat kid" can't do anything. All I can do for my family is make a commitment to limit the unhealthy foods and beverages that make their way into our home and lead them in an active lifestyle.

I have some new goals, goals that I know I'll have to constantly be reminded of since change is hard, and diet/activity change is even harder for me. My new goals are to make mealtimes healthier, to create more times for fun activity, and to not only change how I view eating and exercise, but to help my children grow with a healthy appreciation for food and what it does for the body rather.

No comments:

Post a Comment