Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Choose Wisely



Well, it's January 1st. It's the day that most of us resolve to start getting healthy. We set all sorts of resolutions that we will abandon by March. I know, some folks are great at keeping those resolutions. I'm not one of them. I've decided not to set them this year, but rather set monthly goals. I need instant gratification, so I can't set a goal for a year from now and keep with it. I just know me too well sometimes. Other times, I confuse myself, but that's of no concern here today. Ha!

Another thing I know about myself is that I have to have some sort of support team. I can't do this alone. I need someone to encourage me when I fall. I need to be reminded that falling does not equal failing. I need someone to tell me I've done well and that they are proud of me when I reach a goal... or when I get up and do what I should do, even when I'm not feeling it.

There's a difference between having someone who nags you and having someone who encourages you. The person who nags you is the person who lets you know through their actions and tone that you are a disappointment if you don't reach your goal or if you miss a day at the gym. It's the person who you can feel the judgement when you eat something that he or she feels you shouldn't. I have those people. I bet you do, as well.

I also have people who will say, "I know you don't feel like getting your workout in. I'm coming to get you, and we're going to the gym." They say, "Here are your shoes. Put them on. Let's go for a walk." They are the ones who say, "You know, it was one meal. Let's throw the rest of the fried chicken out so you aren't tempted by it again."

I will not be successful if I feel like I have to live up to someone else's standards. I also will not be successful if I am judged when I miss the mark. It doesn't help. So, I have to do my best to distance myself from the negativity and surround myself with positivity.

If you haven't already figure out who your helpers and hindrances are, I challenge you to figure it out. And then I challenge you to set some distance between you and those who bring you down and begin surrounding yourself with those who build you up. Choose wisely.... surround yourself with positive people who want you to be successful and will encourage you along that journey.

Happy New Year!!!

Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment