Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday - Lent, Day 1

Being raised Southern Baptist, giving up something for Lent wasn't really our thing. Honestly, I thought it was a Catholic thing. Now, having been married to a Methodist and going to a Methodist church for 11 years now, I'm sorta getting the idea of Lent. I've only observed Lent once. I had decided to give up coffee. The only problem with that was the first day of Lent was smack-dab in the middle of a vacation week. We were at Disney. Our family happily got up and carried ourselves down to the breakfast buffet. Not thinking, I made myself a cup of coffee. Halfway through the cup I remembered what day it was, and I nearly choked. LOL

So, this year our preacher has encouraged us to do not give something up, but to take something on. I'm still trying to get the hang of giving something up. I think the problem I had with the idea of giving something up was that in my mind it needed honor God somehow, and I couldn't figure out how giving up coffee would honor God or help me grow spiritually. So, I've decided to take something on this year. But, wouldn't you know that when I find a way to honor God in Lent by taking something on, I also find a way to do it though giving something up??? What's a girl to do but do both, right?

Taking on: Prayer. I will be honest and say that I don't pray as often as I should. Oh yeah, I pray when someone's sick or I'm in a bind. But honest, daily talks with God.... I don't do that. I do it sporadically, at best. I'm committing to pray for our church and the school system, specifically.

Giving Up: I've decided to give up sweets (candy, cakes/cupcakes, cookies, desserts, etc), sugared sodas, and junk snack food. Laying in bed last night, really wondering what to do about Lent this year - and wondering if I was even going to do anything about it at all - it hit me. I've been trying to lose weight for so long, and I always get sidetracked by what out to be indulgences. I don't honor God with my body. I've taken horrible care of the body He gave me. It's time I treated the body He gave me with the care He'd want me to. God doesn't want me to be fat and unhealthy. So, I'm ousting some of the very things that stand in the way of me getting and being healthy. I've already limited the things I'm giving up, but I'll be honest and say that I've indulged in them a lot more than I should lately.

So, there you go. In 40 days(I think)I hope to have a better relationship with God, and also be be healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment