Friday, June 7, 2013

Excuses

I'm really trying to stop making excuses. I planned to go to the gym this morning at 9:30 for BodyPump. Well, I overslept and ended up getting out of bed only 45 minutes before needing to leave. I'm not a jump out of bed and go kind of person. So, I told myself that I wouldn't make it in time, I should just skip it. I mean, I had a "valid" reason to skip it, right? I was out late last night at a concert.(Cassadee Pope, The Band Perry, and Rascal Flatts were awesome!)

And then, realization hit. I always make excuses. That's why I'm in this shape. It's why I go to the gym a couple time and then quit for three months, and then go to the gym again a few time before quitting again. Usually, the excuses ate I'm tired, I don't have time, or I'm just so busy. This morning, it was the combo of "I'm tired and I don't have time to get there before the class starts."

Well, I got up and went. I'm so glad I did. I pushed through the excuse barrier. It was a mental roadblock that was preventing me from doing what I had set out to do in the first place.

Another barrier I pushed through was a barrier with my knees. I've had two knee surgeries in two year. I have had trouble putting any weight on my knees - so kneeling or doing push-ups from my knees was not possible. Today, though it took me a little bit to get into the position without being in pain, I got down on my knees for push-ups!! For me, that's huge. I hate doing push-ups on the wall. I don't feel like I'm getting the full benefit of push-ups when I do them on the wall. I also haven't been able to do very many squats and no lunges. Well, today I did a whole squat routine *with* a weight bar ***and*** I did about half the lunge routine before I needed to stop. And when I stopped, I didn't just quit moving. I did calf raises.

So, I'll end with this little nugget of truth. I've seen different versions of this in various places online, but today I finally understood and accepted it. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment