Friday, June 18, 2010

Journey to a 5K, June 18, 2010

When I started this last week, the goal was to work up to a 5K in August. I picked out the Free to Breathe Lung Cancer 5K. I am doing it in honor of my friend Carol Pannell who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. (If you would like to make a donation, please let me know and I'll give you a link.) This is not only for me, it's for her.

Now, I'm not sure how let myself get talked into this.. and to be honest, I'm scared to death.. but I am leaving in a little over an hour to do the Midnight Run for Missions. Yep. A week and two days later, I'm doing a 5K.

I'm not going to lie. I'm terrified. I have done a 5K in my neighborhood, but only twice. Once was a run/walk, the other was simply a walk. Both were this week. Wednesday for the run/walk and Thursday for the walk.

I'm so scared. Scared I'm going to be the largest person there. Scared I'm going to let my friends down. Scared I'm going to let myself down. Scared that even though I've done it before, I won't be able to finish. My goal is to finish.

Deep down I know that I've got this. I know I can do it. But there's this little bitty seed of doubt because I've never done anything like this before. I've never been athletic. I've never entered any sporting event. By midnight tonight, I won't be able to say that.

I think.... and hope.... that tonight will be the start of a very positive new direction for me. One that includes me being fit instead of fat. I'm so thankful for my friends who are doing this tonight, too.... Lori, Mike, Gail, Kristi, and Ben. I know Lori and Gail are planning on staying with me. I'm not sure about Ben. Mike and Kristi will run it at their own pace, I think. I know Patrick will be at the finish line waiting for me.

OK, I think I've worked out most of the fear, and excitement is starting to settle in. My next post, I'll have done a 5K!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment