Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Journey to a 5K, June 9, 2010

Week 1
Day 1

Yesterday my friend Lori called me, wanting to encourage and motivate me. She challenged me to start running and train for a 5K. I accepted her challenge.

Now, I am well over 200 pounds. And I do mean "well over." I've never run. Let me take that back. I have only ever run when I absolutely had to. And those occasions are have been rare. I'm simply not a runner.

So, this morning Lori arrived at 6:30, ready to begin my training. The goal was a mile and a half. My neighborhood is hilly, which is great because the 5K I chose is pretty hilly. I walked more than I ran, and it took me about 40 minutes. My calves are killing me. I am seriously hurting. But, I know this is a good thing. I've never worked my muscles like this before. I've never had to learn to breathe like this before. So, all "well-over" 200 pounds of me walked/jogged this morning, and we'll do it again Friday.

Patrick went to the grocery store to get bananas for me, and I have to really up my water intake if this is going to work. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. You did great!! We met our goal today and you did not pass out ::)), I had fun, hope you did, and I promise it does get easier.I know we covered alot of ground today and I threw alot at you , but take it in pieces and I promise we will get there. :)) See ya friday... LORI>

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely do it! :)
    The key is staying injury free so make sure you have a good plan... try run/walks, drink lots (as you mention, etc.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete